homestead - [Homestead] Male Nettle

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: Homestead mailing list digest <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Male Nettle
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 00:26:08 -0800

Nettle is the plant we can't live with, and can't live without. My patch has never spread much sideways, but it has set seed at times, which has expanded its range somewhat uncontrollably, but still not disastrously. Already I have a policy of not using compost on open ground, because of the nettle seed in it. Every year I debate whether to remove it. Finally there's an answer.

I read the fine print in the Jepson Manual and found that the European nettle subspecies makes male and female flowers on separate plants (although occasionally there's a plant with both). The native American nettles always produce both kinds on the same plant.

The solution seems to be to find a male nettle plant, dig it up and save it, then remove all the remaining nettles. After the seed-bearing females are safely gone, the male can be replanted in the same place.

Next spring I'll get out the microscope and try to sex the nettle flowers.

Bill
S. Oregon coast