homestead - Re: [Homestead] Off to my place

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Off to my place
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:19:54 -0500

When they put my well in they were done that one day, when they left
I had water.
We did the water line & such ourselves (by hand) and they came back
to hook it up, that part took less than an hour.

Rob

They keep telling me it is a one or two day job. I have the dealer that I bought the mobile from doing the well, septic and foundation. I told them I'd be there last Thursday and really got there on Wed. Nothing was done. Thursday morning the guy came for the footers and the septic. Got all that done on Fri. Well guy was scheduled today, but rain kept him form working. They also were supposed to do a perimeter footing for me to but a brick or cinder block skirting around the house and forgot that, so he has to dig that now.

I'm headed back right after the holiday. Seems that they all work better with me around. I am having a hard time just gently pushing them along.This is a small town and I'd like to make friends not enemies. In Miami, I'd have been balistic by know :>)

I have a real good setup for camping. Have collected a kerosene heater and all. Big mistake I made was not making a small discrete shelter down back where I camp (out of eyes of building inspector). It's getting cold to be in a tent in Virginia. I may just put a few posts in the ground next week and get some walls and a roof up so the rain does not drive me off!

I got a ton of work done in an acre wood lot that needed some thinning and attention, not to mention removal of some wild roses. Anyway, spent a lot of time on that. Also looked at a used Zetor tractor on the way home today. I wish I knew more about tractors, but the make scares me.

All in all, I am so happy that I made the break last summer. I'll get this house in by Dec. and be ready for some "ground breaking" this spring.

Rob