homestead - Re: [Homestead] Off to my place

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Off to my place
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:18:38 -0600

> What kind of dogs?
<<Hey, just got back. Dalmation, Chow/Dachsund Mix and a Chihuahua. All
throw
aways that I adopted. They make a motley mix on the homestead and do a good
job warming one during 20 degree nights in a tent :>)>>

Several years ago Harper's published a short essay about 3 dog nights --
instructions on how to turn over and not lose space on the bed when 3 dogs
were keeping you company. If I ever find that, I will post it here.

Nice mix of pups. What do you do with the Chihuahua? Tuck him in your
armpit? I have two border collies and an Anatolian LGD. And numerous cats.
On really cold nights I can tuck in a BC and any number of cats.
Unfortunately, the BCs, who are sisters, want to kill each other. I keep
telling them that if they got a grip we could *all* be warm at night. They
keep telling me they'd rather die. The Anatolian can't sleep in the house.
His idea of a cozy winter bed is on top of a snow-covered woodchip pile. His
undercoat is probably 3 inches thick -- which makes him the only one amongst
us praying for subzero temps.

Marie