homestead - Re: [Homestead] A citizen's perspective

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A citizen's perspective
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:42:56 -0700

At 10/29/2005 06:34 PM, Gene wrote:
First, I read this at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/30/politics/30health.html

WASHINGTON, Oct. 29 - Congressional committees have proposed substantial
cutbacks in Medicaid and Medicare, the nation's largest health insurance
programs, which together cover more than one-fourth of all Americans.

The Congressional Budget Office estimated that these changes would save the
federal government more than $4 billion in the next five years, with
savings of more than $3 billion for the states.

* Operations costs in Iraq are estimated at $5.6 billion per month in
2005.

Beyond pure hypocrisy, egregious shamefulness and inhumanity, can anyone
show me anything approaching logic here?

Logic, not a problem (maybe...).

1) You have to realize that the deficit "looks" bad to anyone who cares.
2) Cutting Medicaid & Medicare does save a bit, saving "looks" good.
3) The people who lose on the med cuts still need the care, they find the money and pay for it or die. If they pay, Big Medical Biz still gets the money, if they die... well that's less that has to be spent on Medicaid & Medicare. Spending less "looks" good.
4) Money spent on Iraq is being poured into the pockets of Big Biz. I mean $5.6 billion a month is not going out as salaries to solders & truck drivers.
5) Big Biz wins.