homestead - Re: [Homestead] The sad story

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The sad story
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:35:17 EDT

> It is a huge pile but includes a
> real time bomb. Since Bush 1 the government has been diverting part of the
> Social Security funds into "special Treasury Notes."

Don, maybe you can help me understand this, then. When SS money is
collected in a given year, it goes to pay current benefits first. Now days
there is a
surplus. ALL that surplus goes into one government spending program or
another in exchange for notes and bonds theoretically redeemable and
spendable at
some time in the future to help fund SS when there is a deficit. How is what
Bush is doing any different from that? A note is a note, when it comes time
pay it, little odds what it was called.

James