homestead - Re: [Homestead] The sad story

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The sad story
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:43:46 -0400

At 10/26/2005, you wrote:
I am often accused of being a liberal. I am so far to the right of George
W. Bush on fiscal responsibility that we are not even in the same auditorium.

We are blaming the bushies for this but it is mostly the responsibility of congress to control spending. For many years I heard the democratic congress blamed for the excessive spending but they lost that excuse many years ago. Fiscally responsible Republicans? No way, they are too busy wishing they could get a blow job.

But he's compassionate, right?

There are some things in those number no one is commenting on, that column labeled "Intergovernmental holdings." It is a huge pile but includes a real time bomb. Since Bush 1 the government has been diverting part of the Social Security funds into "special Treasury Notes." Those notes will become due one of these days and congress will be forced to do one of three possible things, all not very palatable. One will be to raise taxes to make up the difference. This is very likely the preferred solution so it can be framed as a war between hard working Americans and those bums on Social Security. Another path is to continue to borrow to pay off the bonds. This path works if there is a China around to pick up the tab and if there are no more needless wars to further tap the borrowing power. The third path is one they tried and failed to pull off. That is to cut Social Security benefits so the bonds do not have to be paid. It is getting to be too late to pull that one.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up

My travel journal

My present location is the star on the map in the link below
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=35.588269&longitude=-82.629132