homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wendell Berry article in Orion mag

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wendell Berry article in Orion mag
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:53:22 -0500

<<Alas, I find Berry still a provincial romantic disconnected from national
and international economic reality. With the exception of a tiny percentage
of food produced by ecologically sensitive growers able to sell to upscale
markets, the preponderance of world food is produced for volume profit and
ecology and energy input be damned. I wish it were otherwise... >>

Berry is a 1960s kind of guy, but he has a big kernel of truth in what he
says. I'm afraid that when the feces hits the fan and everyone needs locally
grown food (because the stuff imported from California will be wilted and
way too expensive to buy), the number of local truck farmers will be way too
low to supply demand.

It would be nice to have a government that could plan for the emergency...
but as with Katrina and New Orleans, none of the elected think it will
happen on their watch.

Marie