homestead - Re: [Homestead] Transitioning

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Transitioning
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:37:34 EDT

> Wow, that is great. Lots of work went into that. Is there a stain on the
> wood?

No, just tung oil. Now that you mention it, there's not even any stain in
the shop anywhere. Black walnut wood really is almost black. This harp was
made from an old, old tree that was dying of old age. The cabinet maker
sawed it
up on a bandsaw mill and to his dismay, it was full of sap pockets! Almost
unheard of in a walnut tree. This meant it was largely spoiled as cabinet
wood, but since the pieces I need in the luthier gig are relatively small and
irregular, I could make use of most of it by positioning my templates around
the
offending pockets. By the bye, the wood was kiln dried but I've had it in
storage for 12 years now. I'm gathering wood now to air dry to use five or
six
years from now.

The soundboard is birch.