homestead - Re: [Homestead] Transitioning

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Transitioning
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:28:49 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Alas, it's rare here in the higher ground of the South. If I could find some
growing, I could get it milled and dry it myself, but as it is, the guitar
makers scarf up every splinter of it on the market and so the price is high. It
wouldn't do for the neck or pillar of the harp (not hard enough to hold the
pins), but it would make ideal soundbox material. I've never known anyone
using it on lutes, but it is close grained and very, very light so it seems the
perfect wood for it.

***DH has one of those swamp ash guitars, a Peavy. It is real bassie sounding. I love the tone.

He also has a Moonstone which is a handmade guitar. The guy who makes them lives out in Freshwater on some land that is part of one of my great-grandfather's homesteads. Kinda keeps it all in the family <g> It has some maple burl in it is a beautiful guitar.

Do you play it?

***I get the old violin out occasionally but don't play much anymore because of carpel tunnel. Too much typing of large documents before I figured out how to use a keyboard as though it were a typewriter %-{

The neat part is that he signed and dated it and you can still see the writing inside.

I do play the dulcimer my bil made for me still because it is easy on the wrists. I don't know what he made it out of but it was something off his dad's timber land in Round Valley.

I'd like to get a look at that cello, though.

***I'll have to scan in a picture and send it to you since this list doesn't accept attachments.