homestead - Re: [Homestead] Notes From the Farm (August 2005)

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Notes From the Farm (August 2005)
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 05:20:57 -0700

I've finally decided on the ideal situation for guinea pigs.

In spite of, or perhaps because of, your ongoing instruction, the little pigs sound like a lot of work. Please tell us again the pros and cons of Guinea pigs versus rabbits.

I have a good idea for a
twig crusher using steel rollers and leveraged body weight, like a giant
nutcracker that you sit in.

At Heartwood I put new walnuts on the driveway where vehicles remove the husk. Same design might serve to crush twigs if one is not in a rush.

I'm free to do
my mechanical water pumping experiments in a little tank (just a pit
lined with greenhouse plastic will do).

Do mosquitos not live where you live?

Let's all keep the people of the Gulf Coast in our thoughts this week.

They will need far more than thoughts for far more than a week. Chris's employer is collecting money to replenish Red Cross coffers. The company owner has pledged to match employee donations dollar for dollar. Sounds good to us.