homestead - Re: [Homestead] The use of R.C.W. in agriculture

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The use of R.C.W. in agriculture
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 06:05:33 -0700

"Mixed with the soil RCW is sufficient because all the necessary elements
are in it. In soils treated with RCW there is no deficiencies. As stated
above, the C/N ratio of RCW varies from 50/1 to 170/1 for twigs less
than 7 cm in diameter. The farmer should not worry about the C/N ratio
once biological action works."

I've used forest products in the Heartwood gardens for many years, in three ways. My seed-starting medium is composed of sand, garden soil, and forest humus, mixed and sifted. My new garden beds are built by starting with "squaw wood," rotten oak branches laid at the bottom of the bed. My continual surface composting exercise includes the twigs/leaves/detritus that each stream flood deposits down by the bridge--I collect the stuff with the riding mower, which pulverizes the mix, which includes sand--and spread it on the beds.

As for chipping or crushing limbs in the forest or collecting twigs and small branches, I see no way to do it economically.