homestead - [Homestead] The other side of the Toyota-to-Canada story

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] The other side of the Toyota-to-Canada story
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 06:28:27 -0700

To the Editor:

In "Toyota, Moving Northward" (column, July 25), Paul Krugman oversimplifies the factors that go into the decision to build a new automobile plant.

When a company like Toyota decides to build a $650 million plant, there are many criteria, such as infrastructure, access to highways and rail systems, utility costs, tax and regulatory climate and, yes, the cost of providing comprehensive benefits. The primary reason for the selection of the Ontario site was its proximity to our existing plant in the province, which will manage many administrative functions for the new plant.

Toyota is growing its operations all over North America. We currently have eight new plants or expansions in the works, including nearly $1.6 billion in upcoming United States investment alone.

And much of this expansion is taking place in Southern states like Alabama. We opened a plant in Huntsville three years ago, and have expanded it twice. The work force there has been highly motivated, well trained and productive. Almost 30 percent of our hourly team members are college graduates, and 97 percent are high school graduates.

Dennis Cuneo
Senior Vice President
Toyota Motor North America
New York, July 27, 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/01/opinion/l01toyota.html

  • [Homestead] The other side of the Toyota-to-Canada story, Gene GeRue, 08/01/2005