homestead - Re: [Homestead] Herding Dog

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Herding Dog
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 08:33:23 -0700

I would really investigate the history on this dog. We raised Cattle Dogs
and they are not like the Aussies and Border Collies. They are more like
Kelpies. They are tough little dogs and they can be very rough on sheep.
They'll heel anything including people. They need lots of training and firm
rules. And, they are thinking dogs. I've seen them lay on a porch or in a
yard and watch and watch until they have something figured out and then they
are off like a shot!

If you can handle their personality they are great dogs but be prepared for
a dog that isn't going to do things without questioning why.

Lynda