homestead - Re: [Homestead] The New America

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The New America
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 05:46:37 -0700

Not much to do with homesteading until "they/them" arrive at your place...
As a nation we now hold secret prisoners, as a nation we invaded a
country half way around the world and as a nation we have locked up a
reporter who was counting on the First Amendment to protect her.

Judith Miller chose to go to jail rather than reveal her confidential sources. Ironically, she never published an article on the subject but there is reason to believe she possesses information useful to a prosecutor. The judge jailed her for refusing to give testimony to a grand jury, a system of investigation essential to determine cause for criminal indictment. The power struggle is between the judiciary and the media. It is not an issue of censorship or repression of a free press. If it were we could fight to the death against that tyranny.

The DC Whorehouse will act to give reporter-informant the protection now afforded attorney-client, doctor-patient and husband-wife only if it is subjected to intolerable public pressure, as they, too, each member of that compromised institution, have secrets they must guard from the people. The pressure is unlikely given the present political atmosphere and the ignorance, apathy and lethargy of the American citizenry.