homestead - Re: [Homestead] The New America

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The New America
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:45:33 -0700

At 7/31/2005 03:00 PM, you wrote:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the government for a redress of grievances."

How in the world is Judith Smith protected by the first amendment? Nothing
is stopping her from saying anything she wants. Nor does the first
amendment say anything about protecting sources.

Without sources how are we going to find out about things the govt shouldn't be doing? All it takes is one involved person with a guilty conscious. One person who feels what they are involved in is wrong.
It's a fine thing to say we have a free press but we will hang anyone who tells them anything. Right now we are locking up reports who won't tell who they heard things from.

I am not a big fan of this modern corporate media but the "idea' of a free press is a good one

This is no different than the anonymous callers to CPS or the folks who
turned people in to the McCarthy/Red List, all because of spite or
vindictiveness.

That's people using the govt to even scores. It's been happening as long as there have been people and some type of govt to get them.
In theory the news source gets the reporter pointed in a direction then the reporter has to back up the story with facts. I did say theory.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net