homestead - Re: [Homestead] DIY lumbermill

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] DIY lumbermill
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:09:30 EDT

Rob writes:

> People have built their own band mills for a lot less than you can buy one.
> Try this site for ideas & such http://www.diybandmill.com/
> If I had a spare $4-5K I'd go buy a Norwood
> http://www.norwoodindustries.com/ or look for a used mill at
> http://www.sawmill-exchange.com/

Good sites and thanks. If I had the $5K I was inclinded to invest in my own
enterprises, I'd do that too. And may some day. Looking for the cheaper way
right now.

> FWIW I met a guy (in MN) who bought a Woodmizer ( http://www.woodmizer.com/
> ), he spent $20k+ on it. He was a school teacher and said he paid for it
> that first summer.

Yes, but I bet he earned it. That whole thing appeals to my version of the
homestead pastoral economy, let the tool you need for your own use pay for
itself by the work you can do with it. But I'm imagining one would earn that
$20K
in a summer.

While I need some sheeting and framing planks, my long term need is for
staves less than two quarters thick, four to six inches wide and less than
30"
long. What are other alternatives for milling or resawing such staves. I've
tried the stationary bandsaw (an old Toledo meat saw converted) and it did OK
but
was not ideal by any means. I've resawn by hand using a framing saw and it
works fine but you wouldn't want to make a career of it.

James