homestead - RE: [Homestead] Star Wars as analogy to Americanism

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Star Wars as analogy to Americanism
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 20:50:15 -0500

<<I wonder if there is a list somewhere that shows the programs enacted by
both parties and their approximate annual cost. My sense of it is that
Republicans say they want less government but what they most want is lower
taxes.>>

The current lot of Republicans has brought us two wars, which are together
costing many billions, and Medicare medicine, which appears to be mainly a
gift to the pharmacy companies and is also going to cost billions.

And then there is the so-called No Child Left Behind Act, which is a mostly
unfunded mandate that is costing states millions of dollars (billions in the
aggregate) to provide federally mandated testing and tutoring, among other
things.

These expenditures, coupled with huge tax cuts for the wealthy, will leave
the children with, most likely, a huge debt and a draft. Interestingly,
almost everyone I know has gotten a letter from the IRS telling them that
they owe more money with the numbers ranging from ~$500 to more than $12,000
-- and none of these citizens has an income of more than $70,000, the
majority are making between $30,000 and $45,000. The money has to come from
somewhere, of course.

Marie