homestead - Re: [Homestead] Star Wars as analogy to Americanism

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Star Wars as analogy to Americanism
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 13:14:34 -0700

Republicans want everyone to be morally good, according to their (the
republicans') morals. They don't mind big government telling people what
is morally best for everyone.

Democrats want everyone to have the same: the same education and
intelligence, the same amount and kind of food, the same size and kind of
home; and they don't mind big government to pay for it and run it.

I wonder if there is a list somewhere that shows the programs enacted by both parties and their approximate annual cost. My sense of it is that Republicans say they want less government but what they most want is lower taxes. Who can disagree with the concept of a lesser tax burden? At least under Bush II we have lower taxes but we also have more expenditures with the inevitable result of massive debt. Who will pay the debt? What economical alchemy will make such a program work? Democrats at least under Clinton seemed to me to be more realistic regarding the tension between tax levels and national debt.

On balance I am more conservative than liberal. But Bush has made me forever skeptical that Republicans are any more fiscally conservative than Democrats. He saw the results of his father saying over and over again, "watch my lips, no new taxes," and then raise taxes, so he learned the political lesson: give the people the pap of programs but lower taxes and let someone else do the heavy lifting of somehow digging us out of dirty debt.

I am one who deeply resents any president and the DC Whorehouse formerly known as the US Congress mandating unfunded programs that hurt communities.