homestead - [Homestead] tvo-new pasture

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] tvo-new pasture
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 19:38:44 -0700

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:48:42 -0500
Sender: owner-homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net>
To: Lee Flier <lflier AT mindspring.com>
Cc: homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
Subject: Re: New pasture & high tensile fences (fwd)

Lee Flier wrote:

> >I was hoping you might read my message. Yep, the worst looking fields
> >have the most slope to them, so gravity and rain have been moving the top
> >soil for many years. They are really not appropriate areas for growing
>
> I think in my last message you may have thought I said you needed some
> "earthworms" but what I said was "earthworks." (Well, earthworms DO do
> earthworks, but not where they can't survive.<G>) There's a machine that's
> used out west for restoring native rangelands in places that have become
> desertified due to erosion - usually the erosion in this case was from road
> construction, sometimes very poor agricultural or ranching practices.
>
> The machine is called an "imprinter". Basically it's a drum shaped like a
> pointed star that is pulled behind a tractor normally. It makes little
> diamond pits or grooves in the soil - only about 8 inches long and maybe 2-3
> inches deep, but a whole lot of them. Then seed is broadcast around the
> area shortly before it rains. The pits retain the moisture and keep the
> seed from washing away. Whatever seed hadn't landed in a pit soon ended up
> in one. Nurtured in its little pit by moisture and organic debris that
> washes into it, the seed has a good chance to take root. The effect of this
> imprinter on deserts made a huge "imprint" on my mind. <G> It was quite
> stunning.
>
> I'll leave it to some of the mechanical geniuses on the list to come up with
> ways to do this, but I'll bet you could improvise something similar and have
> your oxen or a tractor do the imprint job. I'm thinking a large metal drum
> that you fill with something (water or sand) to give it weight, and weld
> some metal pieces to it to make the imprint?? Then you would use your oxen
> or tractor to go across the field with the drum rolling behind. It does not
> actually turn over the soil, it just makes depressions. Very simple
> concept. I've done the same thing in small scale with those aerator sandals
> that you buy for aerating your lawn. <G> I suppose renting a seed drill
> might work too, although it wouldn't trap as much organic matter as those
> longer, wider and shallower depressions.
>
> >My idea would be to apply small doses of
> >fertilizer and hopefully only before a light rain. It would make zero
> >sense to dump hundreds of pounds of water soluable chemicals on the field
> >and have it wash down the hill with the soil. I've been thinking of
> >broadcasting some additional ladino clover on these poor fields along
> >with the small fertilizer doses. Hopefully I can get a few more plants
> >started before things warm up too much. I think the legumes will be the key
> >long term improvement in the fields.
>
> Yes... but the seeds don't require nutrients to germinate, and you are
> getting poor germination. This is probably because most of the seed ends up
> at the bottom of the hill. :-) If you don't do some earthworks you are
> [...]

heater, the size of which is the biggest your motive power (tractor, mule, wife)
can pull.

I've got one about thirty inches diameter and five or six feet long (don't
know
what it was intended for) that came with the place. You could make the
footprint attachments from weldments, concrete or cast iron. Welding sufficient
up pieces of plate would be pretty tedious and cutting them out more so.

The best would be to make a wooden pattern to be inserted in the sand of your
cope and drag (sounds obscene, doesn't it?) fire up your little cupola furnace
with layers of iron and charcoal or coke, tap it and (carefully) fill the
molds
with a cast-iron ladle---yeah you do have to poke pour and vent holes in them
too---and don't forget the two sand/binder inserts to make the holes through
which bolts will fasten the imprinter to the water heater periphery. Iron scrap
is plentiful and currently so low priced no one can afford the gas to haul it to
the scrapyard. Brass or aluminum melted in a bucket foundry would work, but the
materials are pretty expensive---and they are really too soft anyway if you have
a lot of rocks.

I left one option for last, which all you Oddzark and similarly peculiar
people
may find attractive---make the imprinters out of concrete. Yup, any old (waxed,
oiled) mold will do, wood, clay, metal---as long as one end of the imprinter
is
the same contour as the water heater, the other tapered a little, and as long as
the two-piece mold has holes top and bottom, through which waxed dowels can be
inserted and later withdrawn after the concrete mix is cured---again providing
two holes for bolt-attachments. You weld half-inch or larger nuts over holes
drilled in the water tank in whatever pattern of earth imprints you want. Be
sure your mold leaves an indent in the surface of the casting for the nuts
welded on the tank, otherwise your imprinter will not fit tightly to the tank
surface.

Then, weld a short piece of 3/4", 7/8" or 1" bar stock in the center of and
perpendicular to each end of the tank (having first drilled four cotter key
holes---one in the outer end of each piece of bar stock, the other farther apart
than the width of your pipe yoke, plus the width of two washers between which
each leg of the yoke rides..

Then fabricate a yoke by welding three pieces of inch and one-half pipe
together, drill a hole in the lower end of each leg to slide over the
bar-stock
pins---insert flanged nylon or brass sleeve bearings in the holes, flange side
on the outboard sides of the yoke. Remember the pins should be long enough so
you can slide one leg of the yoke inward to disengage the other leg, after which
the other leg can be slid out to remove the yoke entirely (to replace bearings
or for more compact storage)

Lay the yoke down on a flat surface and weld a pipe to the center of
sufficient
length for your tractor hitch, or as a tongue for a pair of horses.

Weld braces from the two bends of the yoke to the center pipe to take the stress
of the heavily weighted roller.

If they aren't already there, put fill and drain fittings in one end of the
water heater tank. Fill with water and you're ready to go. It should be
drained after use---otherwise you will have to add anti-freeze for cold
weather
storage.

You would want to make a pretty rich Portland cement mix for adequate
compressive strength, and gain some tensile strength by mixing in polypropylene,
nylon or steel wire reinforcement (Dramix) from your friendly local ready-mix
company..

.

  • [Homestead] tvo-new pasture, Rob, 05/19/2005