homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hey, I resemble most of these remarks!

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hey, I resemble most of these remarks!
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:19:16 -0700

> 33. You can (correctly) pronounce the words: "Saguaro," "Ocotillo,"
> "Tempe," "Gila Bend," "San Xavier," "Canyon de Chelly," "Mogollon
> Rim," "Cholla," and "Ajo."

Ajo? Garlic? You have a place out there called 'Garlic'??

Yep, Ajo, Arizona. I've not visited. SW AZ. About 3,000 population. A place I do know is Ajo Al's, an excellent Mexican restaurant here in Phoenix. Not all these words name places. Three name cacti and of those three, one names the tiny town of Ocotillo. The ocotillo cactus is remarkably adapted; it is the only plant I have observed that is moisture deciduous. Looks dead until the rains, then gets leaves and flowers, then gradually back to the dead look until more water. This area where I live is called Ocotillo Hills and there are many of the graceful plants, both in the Phoenix Mountains Preserve two blocks distant, and in many yards.