homestead - Re: [Homestead] Perfect Storm

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Perfect Storm
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:19:00 -0600

At 08:23 AM 5/12/05 -0700, you wrote:

>> One thing that wealthy and powerful fear as much as they fear your vote
>> is your independence. If you are not in debt or beholden to them in some
>> other way, their power over you is limited and he source of their wealth
>> is stiffled.
>
>Gene wrot:
>I am lifted by knowing people like you and maybe a few thousand more
>persist in the independence/self-reliance/self sufficiency dream. I share
>it. But we are as drops of water in the river of society.
>
>The masses live for sugar, salt and fat; their idea of exercise is walking
>from the car to the elevator; their contentment is a full-belly family in a
>30-year mortgage house with a credit-card large-screen TV with surround
>sound; their concept of citizenship is voting once every four years.
>Independence is limited to rants. Politicians correctly view them as
>sheeple and fear mostly that those who don't vote might become energized.

You are right, however I have heard that only 3% of the colonists wanted to
separate from England...perhaps it was a larger number, but not much. It
was they who saw the unfairness occurring that went on to inform, explain,
and prepare others to fight against the tyranny. The first of the
Revolutionary War was not meant to separate the Colonies from England, but
to explain to the King in a way he would listen, since peaceful
explainations had not resulted in better treatment.

I am not saying that we should have a war with fists, guns, bombs or the
like, but with knowledge and a course set. Those with the thirst for
freedom need to teach the sheeple when possible why things aren't right.
Granted, everyone's idea of *right* may be different, but I think the
majority, if they wakened from their deep sleep, would rise in rebellion to
how things are being run nationwide from DC. Many of the same problems
exist now as it did in Colonial days simply because of a big, centralized
government, which was exactly opposite of what the Founders intended when
they wrote the Constitution.

Best wishes,
Melody