homestead - Re: [Homestead] Overweight is better?

  • From: bfw44 AT bellsouth.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Overweight is better?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:58:27 -0500

I was talking to my son earlier today about this subject...
He is 5'8"... and lost down to 165 pounds while in the military some
20 years ago. He says he feels better at about 175.

Nah, I have never really agreed with the weight charts
for the most part.

bfw ~ I' m an off-and-on member here... mostly a lurker)
Married, retired, live on 5 acres in the country (mid-TN) have three
doggies, enjoy gardening... wildlife... and just being out of doors.
We are currently fencing in the nice sized back yard to contain
our doggies... then it's barn repair time and gardening along the
way. :-)

Someon 5'8" tall and 122 pounds is NORMAL weight according to the beginning
assumption. Geeeesh that's thiiiiin! I mean terminal cancer or Auschwitz
victim thin. A person that thin, especiall a man, but this would be true for
most women too, a person that thin is not carrying around any apreciable amount
of muscle. While the article says that the study: " controlled for factors
like smoking, age, race and alcohol consumption", it did not control for
whether the extra pounds were in the from of fat or muscle. Big difference.

Many people have looked at those charts saying the ideal weight for a 5'8"
person is 122 to 164 and dismissed it as impractical. Someone doing much
vigorous work isn't going to be able to be that light. The study suggests that the
ideal weight is a FEW pounds heavier than the chart says, the 5'8" person
weighing a bit more than 122 up to 175 or so. And one possible explanation is
that vigorous people will naturally be carrying round some muscle and muscle is
heavy, almost twice as heavy as fat.

James

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/bfw44%40bellsouth.net