homestead - Re: [Homestead] Overweight is better?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Overweight is better?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:15:30 -0700

I think the whole "should be" is a waste of time and effort. One more bit
of nonsense our tax dollars generally end up paying for.

Like the nonsense that comes out of public schooling. Hello, there is NO
one-size-fits-all. That really applies to weight as well as everything
else. Ideal weight is an individual thing. How active the person is, what
ethnic background (the bones of some ethnic groups are more dense which will
make a difference in weight), their age, body type, muscle type (long
muscles vs. short muscle structures) and so forth and so on. Having a
"between these two" just gives people another excuse to not pay attention to
what they as an individual should weigh.

On the other end of the spectrum than the one that James usually attacks, we
had lots of patients on the psych ward who were anorexic and would find the
weight chart that suited their fancy (they have changed over the years) and
would point to the light end and say "see, I'm only 5 pounds under what I
should weigh." NOT! And, we saw the other end also. "See, I'm only 10
pounds over what I should weigh." NOT! In the anorexic's case it was
usually the high end of the spectrum they should have been on (5'8", big
boned, etc.) and in the folks going to the weight management classes they
should have been on the lower end of the spectrum (barely 5'8" and very
petite).

Lynda