homestead - Re: [Homestead] Self-service and more payback to bigcontributors by the DC Whorehouse

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Self-service and more payback to bigcontributors by the DC Whorehouse
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 12:32:14 -0700

At 07:08 AM 3/3/05 -0700, you wrote:

>>Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
>>Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin
>
>Good stuff, Melody. Thanks.
>
>Many of us feel we are well-armed but of course so are "they." Seems to me
>that it is foolish to expect well-fed citizens to spend as much time and
>energy fighting for their truth as do the pros. Which is why I often
>suggest simply voting against the incumbent.

Thanks, Gene.

The interesting thing in a true democracy is the "they" could be your
surrounding neighbors who don't like the look of your barn. Perhaps it is
not beautiful, or just the right color. "They" could take it up with the
city council and decide for you that a magenta barn that has a pretty
facade to fit the surroundings would be best and you have to foot the bill.

Or perhaps your neighbors decide they would like a road to go through your
lot. Because they are the majority, you the minority would have to let
them because it is for the good of the neighborhood.

That is why I say we don't have a true democracy; in a true democracy the
mob rules.

Now for my looking-down-the-road. I have seen and heard a lot more about
America being a democracy in the past couple of years. Perhaps it is just
because I am more aware of it, or perhaps it is truly happening. In any
case, what would make one's ears perk up at first could very well lull the
people into a content rest as time goes on and nothing "bad" comes of it.

I see changes happening in America that concern me, such as President Bush
and the Congress reinventing what freedom, liberty, security, and
patriotism is. For example, take a look at The Patriot Act, The
President's New Freedom - Commission on Mental Health, and Homeland
Security. There is an over-usage of those words particularly when the
definition of the program would be exactly opposite to freedom.

I was going to add my credo, but I can't find it! :-) I found a great
bumper sticker but can't find it on their site anymore. The gist of it was
that you should never trust anyone with power. I'll have to search...it
said just what I think in such a way that was articulate, meaningful, and
not quite as anarchistic as the above.

Best wishes,
Melody