homestead - Re: [Homestead] Arm Chair Politicians

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Arm Chair Politicians
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:11:56 -0800

Now, Ray, we've btdt. YOU are the exception, not the rule. If we could
clone you there would be far more happy children in p.s.

Lynda

"The notion that schoolboys are generally content with their lot seems
to me to be a sad delusion. They are, in the main, able to bear it, but
they like it no more than a soldier enjoys life in a foxhole. The need
to endure it makes actors of them; they learn how to lie -- perhaps the
most valuable thing, to a citizen of Christendom, that they learn in
school... School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span
of human existence. They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks, new and
unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense and common
decency. It doesn't take a reasonably bright boy long to discover that
most of what is rammed into him is nonsense, and that no one really
cares very much whether he learns it or not... It is, indeed, one of the
capital tragedies of youth -- and youth is the time of real tragedy --
that the young are thrown in with adults they do not quite respect... It
would be hard enough for a grown man, with alcohol and cynicism aiding
him, to endure such society. To a growing boy it is torture."

-- Travail, by H.L. Mencken