homestead - [Homestead] Mother's Against the Draft

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Mother's Against the Draft
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:29:13 -0700

I love it! I was sent a notice today to join Mother's Against the Draft
http://www.mothersagainstthedraft.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=sect
ion&id=4&Itemid=44
and in it is a petition to be signed to prevent the draft being reinstated.

I thought it was awesome that the 13th Amendment was quoted to bring up the
unconstitutionality of a draft. It is totally appropriate though! Take a
look:
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for
crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within
the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Anyone who is interested in signing the petition can do so in just a few
days. The petition itself is available to be read, but the program that
allows the signing isn't completed yet.

Best wishes,
Melody