homestead - Re: [Homestead] 7 days and I am really counting

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 7 days and I am really counting
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:05:05 -0700

Many libraries have free WiFi and the state of Texas is putting it in some rest stops.

That triggers one of my Texas rants. Since buying the first 90 Ozarks' acres in 1977, I have made many road trips between California and Missouri, typically crossing Texas on I-40 but also the southern route. Texas has the fewest rest stops per road miles of any state I have traversed. Where other states would have rest stops with full facilities, Texas has picnic stops with concrete tables, sometimes with a cover, no toilet facilities, not even a wall to stand behind. Rest stops just inside Oklahoma and New Mexico borders are always crowded with anxious travelers. I have mused on the philosophy and concluded that they want you to hurry to a restaurant and spend money. One more indication of the pro-business, to-hell-with-the-common-people political attitude of Texas politicians.