homestead - Re: [Homestead] I'll second that

  • From: Rob <becidawa AT hctc.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I'll second that
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:15:04 -0800

At 1/11/2005 06:16 PM, you wrote:
tvoivozhd wrote:

No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.
— Franklin Delano Roosevelt

So newspapers shouldn't be allowed to hire paperboys, or McDonalds hire the teenagers, or a self employed person shouldn't operate if their profit per hour happened to drop below some arbitrary point?

I think the key phrase in the quote was "depends for existence".

I never really thought about it, but I'd have to wonder about a company that would go under if they paid their workers enough to live on.
<Shrug>, it's a different world.

Rob
becidawa AT hctc.com
western Washington, USA

someday I need to find a good signature line about fools... maybe this one...

Prejudices are what fools use for reason.
- Voltaire