homestead - Re: [Homestead] Making Butter

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw AT chilitech.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Making Butter
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:26:14 -0500

At 09:21 AM 12/18/04 -0500, you wrote:

>>Would any of you mind sharing that info with someone from another list?
>>She >would like to make butter and wants it to taste like her
>>grandmother's.
>
>A third factor that affects the taste is the ripeness of the cream. Very
>fresh cream makes sweet but somewhat bland butter. After the cream ripens
>(sours) a bit the resulting butter is more flavorful but not as sweet.
>Ripened cream also yields more butter than fresh cream.

You can also buy cultures (I like the Mesophilic aroma type 'B' from
http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/canada/culture.htm ) that will ripen the
cream and add flavor without making it too sour. Once you get a culture
going, you can keep making a new batch from the old. I make 'culture ice
cubes' and keep them in a bag in the freezer...add a couple to each half
gallon of fresh cream and by the next day it's so thick that you have to
spoon it out. Flavorful but not sour; it's the stuff they call European
Style Cultured Butter and charge $8/lb for.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA
Lynnw AT chilitech.net