homestead - Re: [Homestead] GeneGeRueism

  • From: C Russell <mtbetter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] GeneGeRueism
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:21:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi Gene-

I read this article this morning. One of the big
perks of the internet is access to lots of newspapers.

This article, enjoyable overall, is an example of
something I've been noticing since the tail end of the
election season--those who oppose the Protestant
Evangelical, religious right, apparently don't know
very much about them.

I realize that this article is not about the religious
right. Still, when Horgan writes about disputes
between Baptists and Anabaptists he's out in left
field. Baptists are Anabaptist. There is no dispute
between them about infant baptism.

Short unnecessary history lesson: Long years ago,
Anabaptists left churches that baptize infants. They
are ana-baptizing. Several groups developed from the
original. Mennonites and Amish (with others) are
still sometimes called Anabaptist. American Baptist
groups formed later, but they trace roots through
Anabaptists. Both groups oppose infant baptism.

Back to what I was saying. This baptizing thing is
pretty basic stuff, fundamental even (pun intended).
A week or two ago the NY Times ran an article about
"if the Protestants elected a pope it would be John
Stott." It was as far off as this baptizing thing.
The support for the author's thesis was that Stott has
written 40 books and that he is an intelligent,
reasonable, man of faith. What the author apparently
failed to recognize is that at least twenty prominent
Protestant leaders have written more than 40 books and
are intelligent, reasonable men of faith. John Stott
would not make the short list of papal candidates.

I'm not just disagreeing with these men. I'm
wondering if the blue team thinks they need to know
more about the religious red side. Immediately after
the election, a couple of blue guys at work talked
about studying the mindset of the religious red, but
they've abandoned that pursuit in favor of painting
with broad brushes and making analogies with fascism.
Do you think it's important to understand where the
other guy's coming from?

Cathy