homestead - [Homestead] Joseph Campbell on choosing what to do

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Joseph Campbell on choosing what to do
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 08:37:33 -0700

Thinking about Bill Moyers led to Joseph Campbell, which led to this:

"I think the person who takes a job in order to live -- that is to say, for the money -- has turned himself into a slave. Work begins when you don't like what you're doing. There's a wise saying: make your hobby your source of income. Then there's no such thing as work, and there's no such thing as getting tired. That's been my own experience. I did just what I wanted to do. It takes courage at first, because who the hell wants you to do just what you want to do; they've all got a lot of plans for you. But you can make it happen. I think it's very important for a young person to have the courage to do what seems to him significant in his life, and not just take a job in order to make money. But this takes a bit of prudence and very careful planning, and may delay financial achievement and comfortable living. But the ultimate result will be very much to his pleasure."
--Joseph Campbell

  • [Homestead] Joseph Campbell on choosing what to do, Gene GeRue, 12/07/2004