homestead - Re: [Homestead] Re: No Work Tomatoes/ Exercise

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Re: No Work Tomatoes/ Exercise
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:23:13 -0500

On the other topic, I don't feel that I have standing in someone else's
life to make pronouncements over them. To me, it's like the concept of "standing" in the courtroom. I might sue someone who I know is harming themselves and could potentially cost others money indirectly, but the judge will just say that I have no standing (no personal interest in the situation) and throw it out of court.

All well and good, Bill, and sure what people choose to do to themselves is entirely their own affair. Even how they dismiss their bad choices is their doing as well - their problems can be from alien implants for all anyone cares. That's as long as they keep it to themselves at least to the point of not using it as a cudgel to derail discussions that have nothing whatever to do with their "condition".

As I have opined, as annoying as the geo-political discussions get, there seems to be a pearl among the rotting oysters from time to time that really does speak to the whole notion of homesteading. But we live in some very diverse places and have some very diverse backgrounds and proclivities. The best thing would be to leave those things out of the discussions.

We meet people all the time (in person) who is quick to schwing out the advice about corn, or pigs, or rabbits, or hay or whatever. Early into the conversation I always ask "Great, when can I come and see how you are doing it?" Nine times out of ten that's the end of it. They AREN'T doing it. Sometimes though someone says "Sure, let me show you the results of what I'm talking about." Even on the internet those around the country (and world now) with whom I've developed an ongoing dialog and whose interaction I find useful are always sending five photos with every bit of news or results. They really are doing this stuff and they really are succeeding and failing at it. More the former than the latter. In fact, if anyone wants to get into some real homestead discussions, email me and I'll show you some of my links to the most productive projects in homesteading as well as my most dismal failures (I document those too). But, Bill, in all those hundreds of photos there's one thing you won't see .... me. I'm not there. I'm not important. So it is with most of the really admirable homesteaders with whom I've had the privilege to interact over the web, I don't know what they look like or much about their private lives. And as it turns out some of them work under very hard circumstances ... finding out only years later that they were paraplegic, or had cerebral palsy, or were nearly blind, or worse.

The "standing" is the extent to which people want to wear their "condition" on their sleeve and to limit what someone else has to say about homesteading because it interferes with their pity party.

James