homestead - Re: [Homestead] Re: Lynda

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Re: Lynda
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 23:04:11 -0800

> > Toni wrote:
> >
> > Others become apologetic ...
> >
> > I would only apologize to someone worthy of being apologized to: someone
> > with a brain in their head, whom I'd perhaps judged too harshly. Bill

Hmmm. Seems to me that equating "grant writing"
with "free money-welfare" (which fed a lot of kids
who are *not* being fed *now* regardless of
*why*) without ever finding out how the grant
money is used might fall into that category.

I have the same aversion to seeing Cadillacs/
Lincolns/taxis depositing people who then stand
in food bank lines, but until one 'reads the book'
who knows what's inside under the 'cover' ?

Are *all* the people who were able to afford
those cars supposed to sell them and use public
transportation when "public transportation"
doesn't go where the jobs are ?

I'm thinking of all the "industrial parks" that employ
so many people but without vehicles one simply
cannot "get there from here" at all - or it takes so
long, or one must additionally walk so far that
logistically one simply cannot take the job ....
never mind that one may be judged by the clothes
one wears *or the vehicle one drives* when being
hired for 'professional/meet the public' jobs ...
Keeping as much as one can while cutting as much
as one can is an individual survival tactic, and
having 'walked in those shoes' a few times I
suppose I tend to be more open to the foibles
of how people try to maintain life, not just
life-styles.