homestead - [Homestead] Longbow and Crossbow

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Longbow and Crossbow
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:38:22 -0800

Things you wished you knew before---why James is so devoted to primitive tools. I sneaked up on his place when he and Denise went off to entwine themselves in a quilting bee---marvelous opportunity that left him bereft of all firewood cutting tools except a jacknife and coping saw---his stout insistence that they are good enough for cutting firewood is just sour grapes..

I've been keeping an eye on them., next to go is that old colonial fowling piece. However, being the compassionate neocon that I am, I will leave him a copy of this e-mail, so he can cobble up a bow and some arrows to take the place of his colonial shotgun. If he goes hungry now and then, it's good for him, but we don't want him to starve to death, do we? There's a downside of course, we'll have to listen to some of his raptures about his bow and arrow being better than an Uzi for deer hunting.

http://www.thebeckoning.com/medieval/longbow/longbow-manual.html

I learned longbow and arrow-makihg from Luna Leopold, Aldo Leopold's son, in the catacombs beneath a Catholic church in Madison, Wisconsin when I was around ten years old. The crafty old Priest figured he could troll for converts among the unbelievers if he threw out attractive-enough bait. Didn't work, by age ten I knew religion was a priestly swindle practiced upon a weak-minded, gullible populace. But have to give him credit for trying to improve the odds.

http://www.camohunter.com/arrows.html

http://www.outdoorguidemagazine.com/morgue/backissues/lsum2000issue6.htm

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/flight-arrows.html

http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehistory/ancienttech/arrow_making.html