homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oil

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oil
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:28:31 -0800

At 11/16/2004, you wrote:

I've been reading extensively on the looming energy crisis (that most Americans are totally unaware of and wouldn't care about if they were!) and found this interview on the Guerrilla News Network. I've been reading Adam Porter's stuff on the alJazeera website for some time and this is interesting. As Bette Davis would say, "fasten your seatbelt, it's gonna be a bumpy ride."

Read "The Prize" by Daniel Yergin. It is not about peak oil but about how we got into this position in the first place. In the 30s Harold Ickes was telling everyone how cheap oil was the foundation of US and much of western culture and economics.

Peak oil is coming and it will not be an easy ride. No amount of expenditures on Hydrogen or new CAFE laws will do much more than moving the date out a few years.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com

  • [Homestead] Oil, Gene GeRue, 11/16/2004
    • Re: [Homestead] Oil, Don Bowen, 11/16/2004