homestead - Re: [Homestead] tofu

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: mrkflux AT sezampro.yu, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tofu
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:08:51 -0800

Sasha wrote:

Someone from family has recently bought imported soy milk in dry condition,its very expensive ( by our standards) 100 g is about 1,30 euros.Since I am the only one in sight who uses internet for such researchig thing I have discovered that soya bean costs 1/100 part of this price ,I have found that soya milk is just pulverized soya beans.Right?
Next amazing thing I have discovered is that tofu is made with calcium sulphate - isnt that the other name of plaster ?So the question is can tofu be made with plaster for coagulant.Sorry if this sounds stupid...

Sasha ,living in land of cheap soya beans ,where soy milk is imported from far away ...

tvoivozhd---calcium sulfate is the interior of what is called "sheet rock" for covering
walls---it is not "plaster" however, that is made from crushed and burnt limestone.
Some people coagulate tofu with Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) Some only boil and strain as in
the recipes below.

Sasha wrote:

[...]

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pagrosse/RecipeSoyaMilkTofu.htm
(make soya milk and tofu)

Home made Soya Milk

by Soni

Ingredients:

*

100 gram cleaned Soya beans
*

1500 cc water
*

50 gm sugar
*

2 Pandan leaves
*

1/2 tsp vanilla
*

Pinch of salt

Method:

*

Wash Soya beans till clean and soak overnight or for 4 hours in hot water.
*

Rinse soybeans in fresh water and drain. Blend in batches with your mixer.
*

Blend with sufficient water till you get a smooth liquid.
*

Add remaining water and strain through 2 layers of cheesecloth till all liquid has been squeezed out
*

Mix in sugar and boil. Stir in only one direction for 7 minutes.
*

Add Pandan leaves, salt and vanilla

Tofu
Tofu is soya bean curd made from coagulated soya milk. Soya beans are soaked, crushed and heated to produce soya milk to which a coagulating agent such as calcium sulphate or calcium chloride is added. The resulting soya curd is then pressed to give tofu. Tofu is sometimes known as soya cheese, and is sold as blocks packaged in water. It can be bought as silken tofu, which is soft and creamy in texture, or as a denser, firmer version. The firmer kind may also be purchased smoked or marinated. Tofu tends be fairly bland tasting and is best used in recipes where flavour is imparted by other ingredients. Firm tofu may be marinated, fried, stir-fried, deep-fried, sauteed, diced and added to salads or casseroles. Silken tofu can be used for dips, spreads, sauces and sweet dishes. As well as having a high protein content, tofu also contains calcium, iron, and vitamins B1, B2 and B3. (see Tofu Recipes)

Home-Made Soya Milk
From: Angela Sinclair - shorty AT zetnet.co.uk

(makes about 2 pints, 1.2 litres)

* 8 oz (225g) soya beans
* vanilla pod (not needed if you intend to cook/make tofu with it)
* 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
* dash of raw sugar

Soak the beans in plenty of water for 2 days, changing the water twice per day.
Liquidize beans with 2.5 pints (1.5 litres) water.
Pour mixture through a sieve lined with muslin, squeezing through as much liquid as possible.
Add vanilla pod.
Heat liquid to boiling point, then remove vanilla pod.
Add oil and sugar or honey to taste.
Liquidize again, then strain through muslin.
Its a bit complicated, but personally I think it's worth it - especially when the result is a slab of undoubtedly home-made tofu!

How to make soymilk?
It's very easy to make soymilk at home. If you make soymilk on a daily basis you might find a soy milk maker (or soy milk machine such as Soyajoy, Soylife, Miracle...) very helpful.

Step1: Ingredients

You need about 125 g whole soya beans to make 1 liter of soymilk.

Step2: Soaking and dehulling the soya beans

Clean the soya beans and soak them in water for 10 - 16 hours. Although not necessary, you can remove the hulls be kneading the soya beans and flushing the loose hulls with water. Removing the hulls makes the extraction process more efficient. An alternative is to crack the soya beans before soaking. The hulls comes easily loose and can be washed away. When you use cracked soya beans you need less soaking time: 6 - 8 hours.

Step3: Heating the soya beans (optional)

Heating the soya beans will destroy enzymes which are responsible for the development of beany flavour. This heating can best be achieved by microwaving the wet soaked soya beans during 2 minutes.

Step4: Grinding the soya beans

Grind the soaked soyabeans and 1 liter water in a blender. Sieve the mixture trough a cheese cloth and recover the soymilk. The insoluble material which remains on the sieve is called okara, and can be used as an ingredient for bread making or as cattle feed.

Step5: Boiling the soymilk

Heat the soymilk till boiling point and continue boiling for about 5 to 10 minutes. After cooling, the soymilk is ready and can be kept in the fridge for another 3 days.

Step6: Flavouring the soymilk (optional)

The soymilk can be drunk as such but taste can be improved by adding some salt (also cow milk contains a lot of salt).
With soymilk you can easily make your own fruit smoothie. Fruit smoothies are very healthy because they contain soymilk and a lot of fresh fruits.