homestead - Re: [Homestead] And You Thought Americans Elected the New Prez

  • From: Rob <becidawa AT hctc.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] And You Thought Americans Elected the New Prez
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:37:18 -0800

At 11/13/2004 09:22 AM, you wrote:
"we could not be more thankful that God has given you four more years to serve Him in the White House,"

I'll bet y'all thought the job of prez was to serve this country and its citizens.

Lynda
=====

Congratulatory letter to President George W. Bush from Dr. Bob Jones
III
November 3, 2004

<snip>

The media tells us that you have received the largest number of
popular votes of any president in America's history. Congratulations!

I just went looking for the total number of eligible voters in the last election. That's a hard number to come up with. You can't just use the over 18 population as too many are excluded including those that moved (who would have thought someone would worry about the folks that just moved).
Anyway, I'll go along with the AMA guess in an ad from July of this year of 200 mil ( http://www.news-medical.net/?id=3682 ).

I found a number for the number of votes the President got in a column in the Detroit News. ( http://www.detnews.com/2004/metro/0411/08/a02-328209.htm ) 59,209,925

Ok, now I have some numbers I can understand.. almost The President got 59 million out of 200 million. Sen Kerry got 55 million out of 200 million. That comes to 114 million votes, figure 10% for the others (call it 11 million) and you have 125 million voting.
That gives you 75 million who didn't see a reason to vote or chose "none of the above".
Rough figures to be sure but probably as close to real as any you'll find.
I am surprised that over one half the people did vote.
<shrug>.

Rob
becidawa AT hctc.com

Let's end the two party system, get your State to support an open primary election. Everybody for an office on the same ballot with the top two vote getting making it to the general election!