homestead - Re: [Homestead] two Americas

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] two Americas
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:09:43 -0700

The very same way the liberals are aghast that an administration would want to get into their bedrooms and wombs where it doesn't belong, the conservatives had exactly the same sentiment about their pockets, their gun cabinets, their private property ... where they strongly, strongly feel the government doesn't belong.

I was most interested in how for the first time in memory, the rural vote had real power. I suspect we will get more respect from here on out. The reverse migration has been happening for quite awhile now but until this Republican victory it went unnoticed by most operatives. My experience as a rural advocate makes me believe that most who move from city to country are conservative in socio-political matters. And as I relate in my book, dirt-poor ruralites still have pride. The anti-revenooer attitude lives on. There may well be a generational change, but for now, it persists.