homestead - Re: [Homestead] Log cabin URL's, long list

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Log cabin URL's, long list
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:49:58 -0800

WF Smith wrote:

My younger brother had a good friend whose parents lived in a kit log home.
They were plagued by carpenter bees and other pests. After just a few years
the house really looked bad. I'm curious as to what kind of sealer and
preservative can be applied to repel pests and preserve the wood. My
Grandad's house had a smokehouse built of logs in 1825 in the backyard which
were sound until Granny tore it down in a landscaping project a few years
ago. I can say with certainty that no preservative of any kind was ever put
on that wood. I think old growth timber was denser and tougher

tvoivozhd---I think the only preservative that is safe to apply to logs today
is boric acid in some form. It is better applied when the logs are still
green. It is water soluble, so you need a sealant after the boric acid is
applied and surfaces dry. No insect will touch wood with a boric acid
barrier, but it is safe for the family.