homestead - [Homestead] Log cabin URL's, long list

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Log cabin URL's, long list
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 21:52:16 -0800

http://architecture.about.com/library/weekly/aalogcabinb.htm
(good pictorial of Swedish style early log cabin)

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/
(commercial blurb, nice picture, but the builder sure as hell did not make $150,000 profit on that building as alleged)

http://www.diynet.com/diy/ho_log_cabins/article/0,2037,DIY_13947_2273552,00.html
(pics of various milled logs---I have built quite a few log houses, and my personal preferemce is for an unmilled log. I hove always found them satisfactory, with standard chinking between backer-rods---no discernable air leakage that I have found)

Also click on the URL's at the bottom of the page for additional stages of construction (including electrical wiring)
# ALSO IN THIS EPISODE:
#
Beginning the Exterior Walls
#
Exterior Walls and Framing for Windows and Doors
#
Exterior Log-Wall Completion and Propane Tank
#
Interior-Wall Construction

http://outlands.tripod.com/farm/logcabin.htm
(while I despise two-story buildings of any kind and in any material, here are some good photos of a log cabin in verious stages of construction, and how to create component details.)

http://loghomelinks.com/articles/articles.htm
(long list of log-cabin related topics)

http://www.diynet.com/diy/ho_log_cabins/article/0,2037,DIY_13947_2274490,00.html
(installing appliances and other interior finishing jobs.
#
Log-Cabin Closet-Shelving and Doors
#
Bathroom Cypress Panels and Dining-Room Wainscoting
#
Plumbing and Electrical Installations
#
Kitchen Appliances and Interior Construction Recap

http://www.growinglifestyle.com/us/h/improve/logcabin/page4.html
(lot of links, including slip joints behind cabinets, window and trim details---forget about the stupid firetrap shingled roof, always use golted-together precast concrete channels, or at a minumum, standing-seam metal roof.)

http://www.hearthstonegeorgia.com/hutcheson.htm
(the two-story and dormer both bad ideas, the 1500 square feet about the right size, and standing-seam metal roof a good one)

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/who_is_skip_ellsworth.htm
(Skip Ellsworth, foremost log cabin builder and teacher)

http://www.ahfc.state.ak.us/Department_Files/RIC/Construction%20Manuals/construction-manuals.htm
(some Ellison student small structures)

http://www.alaskacabin.net/
($8.00 online building manual on using vertical logs---a lot easier than using horizontal logs, and using small six or eight=foot logs you can handle alone instead of big logs requiring mechanical equipment to haul to the building site, and two or three men to erect._

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ainsworth27.html
(thought I posted this before, but don't know where, this is a vertical log structure erected by a single woman---a hexcabin with a rectangular wing sticking our from one hexpanel.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF3/382.html
(log shrinkage, approximately three inches on eight-foot horizontal log wall)

http://www.ahfc.state.ak.us/Department_Files/RIC/Construction%20Manuals/construction-manuals.htm

(Alaska online log cabin building manuals)