homestead - Re: [Homestead] Drawer pulls and door handles, hardware formaking custom

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Drawer pulls and door handles, hardware formaking custom
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 07:38:11 -0800

> Hey! This is a homestead list. I am a do-it-yourselfer. These are all
> commercial knobs and pulls. I want to make my own.

I *love* that "Mom ! I wanna do-it-myself !" spirit.

> Have just about decided the answer is a simple block of wood stained to
> match cabinets. Glue the stone on one side, drill holes and insert screws
> through the drawer or door front into the wood block.

I will venture something else, though, and that is
my kid brought home some aluminum "objects" from
high school shop. I've forgotten the 'process' (he
burbled a lot back then because he could see how
pleased I was at his work so my ears kinda missed
tech-data while my eyes 'took over' the 'recording')
but if you really *want* metal then sheet aluminum
would provide more rigidity than wood - and a
a 'different' surface depending on how you 'worked'
it ... and/or painted it ...