homestead - [Homestead] More on human waste ideas

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] More on human waste ideas
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:26:03 -0700

When we had our recent discussion with Rob on how to handle human waste, I neglected to note that I had read and written an Amazon review on Sim Van der Ryn's book, The Toilet Papers. Van der Ryn was California State Architect under Jerry Brown and one of those really smart guys who has hippie leanings but somehow makes his way to the top of a field. Here's my review including the info you need to find his book:

The Toilet Papers: Recycling Waste and Conserving Water
by Sim Van Der Ryn
Edition: Paperback
Price: $12.95

9 of 11 people found the following review helpful:

Stop wasting waste--here's the why and the how, May 24, 2000

Most farmers and gardeners fertilize soil using manure from the many animals except humans. Because of our diet, humanure is unsurpassed in nutrients. Asians have used it for thousands of years. Generations of families using flush toilets have resulted in psychological negativity--the yuck factor. So humanure is mostly wasted and goes into sewage treatment plants or septic systems, causing much unnecessary expense and pollution of groundwater. The most commonsense treatment of humanure is to collect it, compost it, and then use it for fertilizer for ornamentals and those plants that fruit above-ground: fruit trees, tomatoes, peppers, beans and the like. Humanure composted for a year is indistinguishable from rich soil. Van der Ryn provides here the why and the how.