homestead - Re: [Homestead] is there a solution ?

  • From: Lisa Perry <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] is there a solution ?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:49:02 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

We do so many things based on ideology that hurt people and weaken our country. For instance, putting fathers and mothers in jail for non-violent drug use essentially orphans children, with high attendant and subsequent costs to society.

Our contractor's helper this summer didn't show up on Monday and then we learned that he was incarcerated for 30 days due to owing back child support. This helper was very knowledgeable and really a good worker, we would have gladly docked his pay (had we known) to help begin getting the back child support caught up. We agree that had a duty to pay child support, but how was sticking him in jail for a month where he was unable to earn a dime--and getting even further behind--going to help? We figure that after serving his month in jail, he then had to look for a new job (with a prison record) and he was likely going to be behind on every bill he had, not just child support. How many of us can skip earning income for a full month and not suffer? Of course we didn't know the full story, but over time he had disclosed to us that he had an ex-wife and two kids and that he had moved here to earn $10/hr doing carpentry work instead of $7/hr in the area where he was from.

Unfortunately, our contractor never found a worker that was as knowledgeable or worked as hard as that guy did. We still wonder what happened to Billy.
Lisa