homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on human waste ideas

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on human waste ideas
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:04:49 -0700

Gene suggested :
> The most commonsense treatment of humanure is to collect it,
compost it, and then use it for fertilizer for ornamentals and those plants
that fruit above-ground: fruit trees, tomatoes, peppers, beans and the
like. Humanure composted for a year is indistinguishable from rich soil.
Van der Ryn provides here the why and the how.

While I'm waiting my turn for the book at the library ,
I seem to recall reading?hearing that human urine is
"sterile" (from a healthy human, of course) and that
stirred a memory of my Ma, who came from a small
village in 'the old country' (like a lot of others) telling
stories (who doesn't ??) about what the world was
like when she was a child - back in the 1890's. And
where I'm going with this is, that while they had
"toilet" facilities the chamber pot (with urine only)
was dumped on what seems to me to have been a
compost heap .... I haven't run across anything like
that in any "this country" literature ....