homestead - Re: [Homestead] Re: Outhouse pit

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Re: Outhouse pit
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:36:26 -0700

Check out the Humanure Handbook!

This book is useful for the inexperienced.

The ideal outhouse is comfortable, commodious and commanding of a rising sun view. It is built on a side hill with an access door on the low side for removal of composted contents. It is a two-holer, with a diverter and separation wall between, so that one side is used while the other composts. Ideal composting conditions include ventilation, so the access door is screened in summer and there is a vent pipe extending from the contents area to well above the house. At Heartwood the vent pipe is eight-inch PVC and has bronze screen fastened tightly to the top. A good ventilation system not only facilitates composting but virtually eliminates odors.

And then there is my semi-old hippie friend whose Ozarks outhouse is his forested back yard. A shovel leaning against a tree and a roll of toilet paper in a capped can hooked to the tree. That's it. Each morning he digs a two-scoop hole, squats and does his business, then fills the hole with the fresh dirt and leaves. He has a mental map system so he remembers where he has been. He has been doing this for years. Wouldn't work in heavy frost areas. His trees are healthy.

I like the outhouse in appropriate weather, listening to the waking birds, watching the rising sun move shadows amongst the trees, reconnecting to the natural world. If it is raining or cold I prefer the indoor bucket toilet. Complete instructions are in my The Complete Guide to Country Living:
http://www.ruralize.com/CompleteGuide.html#7.%20Waste%20handling