homestead - [Homestead] Physical Properties of Hand-Operated Well Pumps

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: Homestead mailing list digest <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Physical Properties of Hand-Operated Well Pumps
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:39:26 -0700

Today I had a few new ideas on designing the simplest vapor engine ever. It's all made out of cheap, replaceable tubing.

Before I can get any more specific with my design, I have to know certain things about hand-operated water pumps, since that's the load my engine is expected to drive. I played around with an old-fashioned pump some when I was a kid, but now I don't have access to one. It seems to me that once the pump is primed, water flow can be maintained with only short strokes, but as I recall they must be frequent, depending on the state of the check valve.

I need to know things like the minimum amount of force required to drive the handle (both up and down), the minimum length of stroke required to maintain the flow, and the minimum speed requirements, if any, and the associated rate of water flow. Maybe someone knows of a mannufacturers website with some specs. At this point I'd be happy to hear any anecdotes that might give me some clue.

Bill