homestead - Re: [Homestead] Physical Properties of Hand-Operated Well Pumps

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Physical Properties of Hand-Operated Well Pumps
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:31:36 -0700

At 10/4/2004, you wrote:
I need to know things like the minimum amount of force required to drive the handle (both up and down), the minimum length of stroke required to maintain the flow, and the minimum speed requirements, if any, and the associated rate of water flow. Maybe someone knows of a mannufacturers website with some specs. At this point I'd be happy to hear any anecdotes that might give me some clue.

The total weight is easy. It is the weight of the pump and pump rods, the water below the pump and the water above the pump. The weight of the water is the inside volume of the pipe above and below the pump plus the volume of the pump minus the volume of the pump rod times the weight of water per volume. Water flow is the pump volume times the number of strokes over time.

What you see on the top of the pump is just the handle. The actual pump will be something less than 30 feet above the surface of the water. You have to lift the water that distance plus the distance from the pump to the outlet. Distance from the water surface to the pump decreases as you go up in altitude, I have my books packed or I could give a chart.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com