homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead question -- puppy and chickens

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead question -- puppy and chickens
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:18:00 -0700

Marie McHarry wrote:

I have a fairly new Anatolian puppy, 14 weeks old today. He has been in a
pen next to my young chickens (the old ones having been cleaned out by the
local wildlife a couple of months back). In the past few days, the chickens
have managed to squeeze out of their pen, and Louis has also squeezed out of
his. A short time ago, I found Louis with a decapitated buff orp.

I did the alpha-bitch-gone-berserk act, used the headless chicken to whack
Louis, and left the little guy looking a puddle of misery. He's a tough dog,
though, and I'm pretty sure the lesson won't stick. Does anyone know of a
good way to convince Louis that if he kills another chicken he's going to be
dog food himself? (I certainly impressed the border collie who was with me
at the time - she took one look at the havoc raining down on Louis and found
something else to do on the other side of the homestead.)

Years ago - probably some 40+ years ago - my parents had a dog that killed
chickens. IIRC, mother finally took some heavy gauge wire and tied a dead
chicken to the dog's neck where he couldn't get at it, but had to wear it -
and that dog never even looked at a chicken again (though he would still
retrieve okay - he was a Chesapeake, and a great retriever).

Marie

tvoivozhd---an Anatolian can be pretty hardheaded---and HUGE. They empathize
with sheep well if kept with them from puppyhood. I don't think even puppy
Anatolians feel any real warmth toward chickens.

I had a Golden Retriever, Black Lab mix that was wonderful with chickens with almost no training---but it was a female, not a neutered male. Females in my experience are a hell of a lot easier to train and so anxious to please they pick up on your displeasure and afterward do not chase chickens (female dogs, can't speak for my ex-wife---well, it was really my fault, not hers).

I like the electric collar and hand-held transmitter signal best---the shock is instantaneous and painful---dog might think the chicken is doing the dirty work. And it works a half a block away, a stubborn dog will turn off his hearing aid at that distance. You might try the leash, the angry shout and a willow-whip for disciplone-susceptible dogs---I still prefer the electric collar. as leave-them-alone convincer.

Maremmas are actually selected to guard chickens by people with large flocks---they drive off neighbor dogs and coyotesl

Here's some suggestions from people with the same problem:
Your best bet is to...

1. Keep her under control at all times when around the birds. On a leash when she is near them, and never allow her access to the birds while she's unsupervised. If you don't and she wants them badly enough, she'll rip the pen to shreds to get to them. I've raised a lot of field trial Labs, been through this before I finally learned.

2. Get her into obedience training as soon as she is old enough. It won't cure her of her desire to fetch them, but it will help when the time comes that she goes after them. Instead of yelling and chasing, you might be able to call her off before she does any real damage.

As for some of the myths surrounding breaking dogs from chasing chickens, do not...

1. Tie the dead bird around her neck and allow it to rot. This is so lame, I have no idea where it got it's start but have heard lots of old timers pass it on. Most dogs won't be bothered, they'll just want to play with it and will likely wind up managing to get it off and eat it.

2. Beat the dog with the dead bird. Does nothing.

If you catch her after them, don't wait until she comes to you to punish her. It won't do a lick of good then, she'll only think you punished her for coming to you. You will have to go to her and get her in the act. No promises it will work, but it's the only way. If she's already discovered the joys of chasing them, it will be tough.

The only good method I know of is to find a bird that you know will beat the tar out of her, and introduce her to it. I finally resorted to this with a puppy someone dumped off here. He was chasing everything, so I introduced him to El Bastardo. *grin* Big, nasty tempered white Chinese gander who beat that puppy from one end of the farm to the other. That puppy won't even LOOK at a bird now, because El Bastardo is never far away. You'll have to do it when she's small though, because when she's grown she just might win that fight.

Good luck!
My dogs (golden retriever, and a black lab/mix) were both cured 100% of chicken killing. The key is initial SUPERVISION and training. We kept our chickens locked up but a few got killed when they either escaped or the dogs got in (when we weren't around). The last time it happened was when we came home from work and found our lab with a freshly dead chicken in his mouth. He knew from our reaction that what he did was bad. Plus (before and after that kill) we allowed the chickens and dogs to meet while they were on leash, and then off-leash closely supervised. When they did well, they were praised. When they chased them, they were scolded. Also, (maybe this has nothing to do with it, but I'd like to think so), I'd have my dogs help me gather eggs. They seemed to learn that food came from chickens and that they're a good thing to keep around!
Very soon we were able to leave them unsupervised. It's been over 2 years and there have been no more problems. My dogs are around all 15 of my hens all day unsupervised and they're fine.
However, they ARE sporting dogs and someone above mentioned the "go get it" instinct. We had a stray rooster get into our yard (off and on for a few weeks) and my dogs knew from my reactions that I didn't like this rooster and did not want him around. One day, I JOKINGLY said "Get that!" to my dogs and they did! I felt rather bad, but at least I know now to choose my words wisely. At least they are protective of my flock.

By

I have the same problem with my Border collie. Chases, Kills and Eats chickens. The chickens were here first, but he doesn't get it. Tried everything: Repremanding, Soaking with the hose, rolled-up newspapers. All he does is cower and before you know it, he's back chasing them again. We have confined Him, and let the chickens roam freely. We are in the process of installing an electric fence because he can clear the 4 foot one that's up right now. Good Luck with your dog, I hope he doesn't turn out like mine.

By *Cjeanr* Your response tells us that there is no one BREED of dog that is perfect with chickens. My Border Collie is absolutely the kindest dog in the world, would never chase anything she is not told to. Take that back, she will kill mice without being told. She does not guard the chickens, but tells me if anything is awry, by coming to me with a special bark. She turns her head sideways when passing my cat, who will box her on the nose, if she looks at him! I will find it hard to replace her, although I had a Welsh Corgi, that would carefully bring a chicken (by the leg) out from under the coop, if I asked her. She would track and fetch anything, gently without harming. My Border Collie has no sheep or cattle to heel, but her job is to keep the horses from leaning over the fence. They need an important task to do, and then they are happy, and do not get into trouble. She went to Obedience School, but already knew most everything--a naturally obedient girl! CJR

We have no problem with cats and chickens. Even the baby chicks are safe. My dog, on the other hand-- harasses the cats, chases song birds, chases the peacock on top of the barn, chases cars, barks at strangers and my ducks, jumps on people, doesn't listen, ...... He just got neutered, and is in the process of training the laws of the leash. My good chicken friend also has a border collie that is just the opposite, too. His dog will circle his birmingham rollers (or something like that <his pigeons>) and if one doesn't come out of a roll and hits the ground, he will locate it and make sure no hawks get it and wait patiently until my friend comes to rescue it. That's what first inspired me to get a border collie, but mine needs a lot of work and discipline.