homestead - [Homestead] Homestead question -- puppy and chickens

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT springnet1.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Homestead question -- puppy and chickens
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 15:20:49 -0500

I have a fairly new Anatolian puppy, 14 weeks old today. He has been in a
pen next to my young chickens (the old ones having been cleaned out by the
local wildlife a couple of months back). In the past few days, the chickens
have managed to squeeze out of their pen, and Louis has also squeezed out of
his. A short time ago, I found Louis with a decapitated buff orp.

I did the alpha-bitch-gone-berserk act, used the headless chicken to whack
Louis, and left the little guy looking a puddle of misery. He's a tough dog,
though, and I'm pretty sure the lesson won't stick. Does anyone know of a
good way to convince Louis that if he kills another chicken he's going to be
dog food himself? (I certainly impressed the border collie who was with me
at the time - she took one look at the havoc raining down on Louis and found
something else to do on the other side of the homestead.)

Years ago - probably some 40+ years ago - my parents had a dog that killed
chickens. IIRC, mother finally took some heavy gauge wire and tied a dead
chicken to the dog's neck where he couldn't get at it, but had to wear it -
and that dog never even looked at a chicken again (though he would still
retrieve okay - he was a Chesapeake, and a great retriever).

Marie