homestead - Re: [Homestead] Education, a blue frog and lollipop tree

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Education, a blue frog and lollipop tree
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:45:41 -0700

DSanner106 AT aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 9/29/2004 2:46:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lurine AT softcom.net writes:
Unfortunately, the mentality that says only doctors know anything about
medicine is still alive and well to the detriment of their patients in
hospitals!
You are so right, and this is one barrier we need to break down. My wife is a Family Nurse Practitioner in a state where people in some places have to drive 2 hours for a pediatrician and the doctors unions have seen to it FNP's cannot set up shop alone, they must be under a doctor, and he must see each patient. A terrible situation for everyone.

Drew

tvoivozhd---in all hospitals the nurse is a lackey and doctors are God. The nurse is permitted to transmit the knowledge she accumulated in a lifetime of observation and observation, only to the doctor---never, never, never to the patient who lives or dies as a result of quality of medical treatment. Why, on accasion my nurse-daughter sometimes accompanies me around the VA hospital, and confers often with me on her opinion of the doctors' treatment. They can't shut her up because she works in Wisconsin.

I have some very good doctors and a couple of idiots who know less about current medical research and treatment than I do.
I'm not all that reticent about expressing my opinion, but mention of "malpractice" causes a sudden silence among administrative staff. The cover-your-ass tradition is strong in hospitals, even in the VA where lawsuits to get rid of killer-doctors are almost totally outlawed.